Sunday, October 24, 2010

New Challenge: Healthy Substitutions

To build on Chelsi's last challenge, and with the Holidays quickly approaching, I decided to focus on Healthy Substitutions these next two weeks. I've been eating terribly lately. I'm talking homemade gooey caramel corn, peach crisp, pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, and that was just on Saturday! Kidding....well, partly. I have, however, been thinking more about healthy substitutions. Instead of oil for the pumpkin cookies, I substituted applesauce. Instead of candy as a treat at the play tonight I popped in a 5 calorie piece of gum.

I'd love to hear your favorite healthy substitutions. How you lighten a rich recipe, or the snacks that you crave but are able to curb by picking something healthier.

But first, I'll start by sharing a few of my favorites:

*Instead of butter and syrup on pancakes I put applesauce with a little powdered sugar sprinkled on top. Yum! And I get full faster and only eat one or two pancakes.

*Instead of ritz crackers with cream cheese (my Dad ruined me on this yummy snack) I eat tortilla chips with hummus.

*Instead of ground beef we use turkey for a leaner meal.

*Snacks that take a little more time to eat seem to make me feel more satisfied when done. Like eating a whole apple, instead of slices. Or eating edamame with a little sea salt. It must be all mental but the extra effort it takes to eat these kind of snacks seem to help.

So there you have it. Make good food choices this week, and please share what has worked for you. We'd love to hear it!

3 comments:

  1. So true on the mental part. I have to mentally prepare myself before I eat anything and I'm the BEST at talking myself out of things like not eating chocolate or two slices of pumpkin roll oh my!

    Yesterday I tried to even things out a little though with having two really healthy meals (in between all the goodies) :(

    Today I will focus on the substitutions! One thing I love is popcorn at movies, but I've found that if I take the time to cut up some apples and slices of cheese along with a few almonds I'm totally satisfied. That is if I can make it past the concessions holding my breath so I'm not too tempted. ;) ha! Ok maybe that's a really pathetic, but you see I'm weak!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yesterday I didn't really look at substitutions, but I did make healthy choices. My water intake was pretty dang good, however I caved when the peanut M&Ms presented themselves. Dang those! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. cute idea girls! I love it! Sorry Chels...I totally did not help you in this endeavor by force feeding you peach cobbler at Gurus...haha! Substitutions? Elk hamburger and Elk Sausage instead of Beef Hamburger...mmm. spinach instead of lettuce. Non frozen non preservative juice instead of all the sugary stuff...and I think that's about it. Oh and I like yogurt on my pancakes...and I'll definitely have to try applesauce :)

    ReplyDelete