Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Dear Diary: You Bite It You Write It


Challenge for the week:

Food Diary, Food Log, Food Journal, call it what you will, but I've noticed that throughout my *almost* 27 years of life I'm the most healthy and lose the most weight or maintain the best when I'm keeping a food diary! Like with the water challenge, I often think I'm doing great with what I'm consuming until I really pay attention and write it down. What better way to see that you've actually consumed 2,000 calories rather than 1,200 calories than to have a sheet of paper with all the grub 'o the day staring right back at cha babe? Now I will be the first to admit there are time that I have actually chosen not to write down that mini (or king sized) candy bar because I really thought that would make me feel better not having to see those extra cals listed. WHO ARE WE KIDDING? No one ever has to know but the person consuming the item and will it really do anything to help that sagging butt to "pretend" we didn't eat it? No Way! I've heard people say, "Well I just chewed the chocolate to curb the craving then spit it out." Nope, that doesn't count on the no calorie food items list. Did you know you still consume calories that way? Yep, it's true! Google it.

*SHEESH*

Where was I? Ah, yes. You Bite It, You Write It sistah! If it so much as enters your mouth you write it down. And please don't wait until the end of the day to do so. By then you've chanced either forgetting what you've eaten or already going over you calories and feeling like you have to starve yourself for the rest of the night even though you haven't had dinner yet! Not good.

Here's the skinny on the Diary:

Find the tool that works best for you
Paper and pen, posting on your blog, or the latest app on your iPhone, there is just no wrong way to go about this! There are so many great ways you can log information now-a-days that there's almost no excuse NOT to do it! Here are a couple tools I've found:

http://befitandstrong.com/free-printable-food-diary/
This little website is a pretty good one for your basic info and they have a free printable food diary. Also note the section at the bottom of each page to check off how many glasses of water you drank each day. Saweet!
*Notice this is the website I borrowed the pic from* :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/
There are so many website you can go to log your food intake that help you find the calories, but I choose this one because I really like their app for the iPhone. I never actually log onto the website because the app is so easy. After a simple *free* sign up process and entering in my info I can search food quickly, track my progress, and see how many calories, fat grams, protein and fiber I have left for the day!



Log what works for you

Some people work best just focusing on calories. Others like to know Calories, Fat, Protien, Fiber, Sugar, the works, and some of you may be counting weight watchers points. The fact is this: you won't do what doesn't work for you. Maybe this is your first time starting a Food Diary so you just want to keep it simple and write down the calories. GREAT! The point is that you're writing it down and holding yourself accountable.


Size Matters
One word here: PORTIONS
Have you ever eaten something and thought, "Sweet! Only 50 calories!" Then you look a little closer and find that there are 4 servings in that cute little pack that you just snarfed? (Yes, I said snarfed.) Please be cautious here. Label makers know this is a common mistake and are more and more clever with the packaging. Also if you're cooking, it's pretty easy to over eat if you're not careful. I tend to cook enough food so I have some to take with me for lunch the next day and I may or may not have eaten the entirety of what I made when I sat down for dinner! We can talk more about portion control at a later date, but please pay attention.


Make measurable changes each day
I get that this part seems like more challenges, but what's the good of a food diary if we aren't learning and changing from it? Also you can take the first week to simply commit to log everything down just to get in the habit. Then the next week look at what you ate from that week and commit you are going to do better or continue to eat healthy the next day/week. Maybe it's as simple as increase your water intake by one glass or extreme as no candy the next day. *GASP!* Remember, this is your Diary so you need to do what will work for you.


Celebrate your Success
Give yourself the pat on the back you deserve for your success that day. Again you determine what that success is. For me, if I can go all day without a diet coke I'm pretty freakin' stoked! Maybe you're hard core like my sis and your good day is no candy, 8 glasses of water, and all your fruits and veggies. YOU GO GIRL! (Love you sis!) :) You must reward yourself. Even if it's just acknowledging the fact that you did good or telling someone else that you did good, it's going to boost your confidence and determination to do good again the next day. If you're constantly hard on yourself you'll find success is harder to come by. Let's face it, being happy makes you feel better!




Well all you Fitsters out there: GOOD LUCK! I bid you all good luck and I know that if you commit to YOURSELF to do this, you can!


Now, let's see if I can practice what I preach! :)

~Chellor

9 comments:

  1. Wow, this has always been a tough discipline for me to get in the habit of. Thinking I need one of those little memo pads since that will prob work best for me. Thanks for the post - this will be a great one to tackle something that's been hard for me to do. Especially since I'm pretty positive I consume more than I what I should for calories a day.

    P.S. You added that little "chew it up, spit it out" bit for me, huh? I'll be better about that too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only thought of you after I wrote that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. K Chellor... I am going to do this and I need you to help nag me at work. Jamie and I just worked out in Arizona and we are committed to eating healthy again. So here we go with the team-work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome Kati! I can't promise anything but it would be sweet if I could blog each day so I'm held accountable and everyone that wants to can post their progress each day and feel that accountability as well! I'll try my best ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Boy, Oh Boy, OH BOY! Day 1: Kept a mental note of what I ate until Mac and Cheese with the boys for lunch and all notes went out the window. Day 2: Doing better. Didn't eat lunch (forgot!) but made up for that at dinner since it was a girls night at the church. Day 3: Planning on getting one of those little memo pads (or maybe taking Dylan's Lightening McQueen one so I don't have to buy one) and really tracking these calories. Tomorrow is a new day to try again, right? Guess we'll find out.....

    P.S. Thinking we may want to extend these challenges to at least two weeks - with some motivation and tips sprinkled in. Seems like by the time we get to the end of the week I'm barely seeing some improvement. Maybe I'm just a slow learner?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Day1: did ok. I had to go out of town and work a 16 hour day and that threw me off. But I did only eat 2 Oreos when and entire bag was just there for the taking! No working out though so repentance for this day (thurs) is necessary.
    Day 2: (Friday) Did pretty good! I made myself be more aware and sit and think about it before I ate anything ;) the only real bad thing was no breakfast and mid morning chai so I was super shaky and wanted to eat Pop's arm. Instead I had subway for a late lunch and a lean cuisine for dinner.... Ok plus a few bites of Pops pizza ;) but I did pass up chocolate and that always makes for a successful day!
    Day 3: today aka Saturday - it's my BDay celebration so I'm going to eat pretty much anything I feel like! I will however log everything I eat so I know just how much torture I need to put myself through at the gym next week ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this! I am going to follow you guys! So inspirational.
    I use DailyPlate.com (part of Livestrong.com) They have all the foods you could possibly think of right there and it helps that they track everything per meal. Search, Click "Ate", select portion and done.
    I have upgraded the past two years to the gold plan. I think it's worth it. Also their app is AWESOME. If I can't track it on my computer, I pop it into the app and it automatically syncs.

    I absolutely credit Dailyplate.com with helping me to lose 50 lbs last year without working out as much as I should have....now if only I can get the self-discipline you guys have to do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have had a off week with eating. BUT, have made my 5 workouts this week so I'm not going to beat myself up too much. Made pumpkin chocolate chip cookies today but substituted the oil for applesauce (also topped my pancakes with applesauce and a little powdered sugar instead of syrup - YUM!) and then gave most of them away. Got my baking fix without having the temptation around for too long. Much to the disappointment of my little boys. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Soooo... how's everyone doing? Here we are, more than a week into the challenge and going on the 2nd week. I for one haven't been doing so hot! I've had the I'll do better tomorrow bug and I even blogged about not doing that. Sheesh. Get ready for bloggin mania this week though y'all. I've even set reminders in my phone to blog. Even if it doesn't help you guys it definitely helps me stay on track!

    ReplyDelete