Sunday, April 1, 2012

Exercising with a Belly....a pregnancy fitness update.

I've really wanted to stay fit during this pregnancy but when the morning (afternoon, and night) sickness hit full throttle around 6-7 weeks I switched to survival mode. Whatever I could do to just keep from throwing up and getting a migraine was good for me. February most of our meals were eaten at a restaurant as nothing sounded good that I would cook at home, let alone the thought of smelling of any food that I would have been preparing. Smells would put me right over the edge - and unfortunately this included all of the bath and body plug in smells around our house. Water is normally my drink of choice but didn't sound appetizing at all. Man, it was a pretty rough couple of weeks.

When I was pregnant with Dylan I jogged a couple days a week until about 5 months and then walked with a group of friends 3 miles a day, almost 5 days a week until I had Dylan. It seemed like I was able to "bounce back" much quicker. When I was pregnant with Adam I didn't do anything. We were buying a new home, moving, remodeling, and it was winter. Odds were against me. And it seems when I'm active, I eat better. When I don't, I eat junk. So I ate junk and paid for it after having Adam with about 15 lbs that just didn't want to leave my hips and tummy until many months later when I started doing cardio/strength training/eating right.

Well, I am very happy to report that during our trip to California (10 weeks) I started feeling much better and being able to better manage feeling nauseous by eating more snacks during the day. This did come after gaining 5 lbs during those weeks of eating whatever I could stomach but I'm just going to say that's part of the deal and live with it. :) I was even able to take my first run on the beach after not working out since mid-January. Sweet!
Coming from the Utah brown/white landscape of winter I was loving all the flowers.

The past couple of weeks I've made sure to workout at least 4 times a week (this week was 6 days!) and have been feeling so much better, not to mention so much happier. This morning I went with two great friends and did a jog towards the Y and then hiked the Y trail. I got a little dizzy so just went to the bottom of the Y, but I'm ok with that. I understand I can't quite push it like I'm used to, but as long as I'm staying active will be happy.

Last night the same couple friends, and their husbands and kids, all went on a bike/rollerblading ride along the river trail. We didn't go very far, very fast, and we stopped at two parks for the kids to play, but it was so fun just to be out doing something active with the family. I'm really looking forward to this spring/summer!!

No comments:

Post a Comment